Fakultät für Philosophie, Wissenschaftstheorie
Munich Center for Mathematical Philosophy (MCMP)
- CV, Ciardelli Ivano (October 2017) (49 KByte)
Ivano holds a Bachelor’s degree in mathematics from the University of Bologna, as well as a Master’s degree in logic and a PhD degree in philosophy, both from the University of Amsterdam. Over the past few years, he focused especially on studying the role of questions in logic and the logical features of questions. Together with Jeroen Groenendijk and Floris Roelofsen, he developed Inquisitive Semantics, a generalization of truth-conditional semantics which allows for a unified analysis of statements and questions, and for a refined take on the semantics of statements. In 2015, a research project that he wrote together with Floris Roelofsen was funded by the ERC. In 2016-2017, he was a postdoc and co-PI on that project, supervising two graduate students. In 2017 he joined the Munich Center for Mathematical Philosophy as an assistant professor.
Ivano conducts research both in logic and in natural language semantics. Within logic, his work focuses mostly on bringing out the importance of questions and developing a mathematical theory of classical logics extended with questions. This line of research has deep connections with modal logic, intuitionistic logic, dependence logic, truth-maker semantics, and dynamic epistemic logic. Within linguistics, he works on the semantics of questions and on the role of alternatives in semantics, especially in combination with conditionals, modals, and imperatives. He also works on foundational issues, such as the nature and structure of semantic objects and the compositional architecture of semantic frameworks. Recently he has been especially interested in conditionals and causal reasoning.
Ivano is external co-PI of a research project on inquisitive semantics and logic based in Amsterdam, where he co-supervises two PhD students. He serves as a reviewer for a number of journals in philosophy and linguistics, including Synthese, Mind, the Journal of Philosophical Logic, the Review of Symbolic Logic, Semantics and Pragmatics and the Journal of Logic, Language and Information. He was/is a co-organizer of various events, including a workshop on Logical Aspects of Quantum Information at the Lorenz Center in Leiden, a workshop on the semantics and logic of questions at the ILLC in Amsterdam, and the Amsterdam Colloquium conference.
Main recent publications
- 2017 I. Ciardelli. Question Meaning = Resolution Conditions. Logic and Logical Philosophy.
- 2017 I. Ciardelli and F. Roelofsen. Hurford’s constraint, the semantics of disjunction, and the nature of alternatives. Natural Language Semantics.
- 2016 I. Ciardelli. Questions as information types. Synthese.
- 2016 I. Ciardelli and F. Roelofsen. Composing alternatives. Linguistics and Philosophy.
- 2016 I. Ciardelli. Dependency as question entailment. In Depedence Logic: theory and applications.
- 2015 I. Ciardelli and F. Roelofsen. Inquisitive dynamic epistemic logic. Synthese.
- 2015 I. Ciardelli, J. Groenendijk and F. Roelofsen. On the semantics and logic of declaratives and interrogatives. Synthese.