Fakultät für Philosophie, Wissenschaftstheorie
Munich Center for Mathematical Philosophy
+49 (0) 89 / 2180 - 5692
- CV (95 KByte)
I completed a MSc in Philosophy and History of Science at the LSE (2002) and a PhD in Philosophy at the University of Turin (2004). Then I have been doing research at the University of Trento (Department of Cognitive Sciences and Education and Center for Mind/Brain Sciences), Aix-Marseille (Laboratoire de Psychologie Cognitive), Venice (Department of Arts and Design), Florence (Department of Critical Care), and finally got back to Turin as a lecturer in Logic and Philosophy of Science (Department of Philosophy and Education).
Major topics of investigation have been inductive reasoning and medical decision making. In both areas I am particularly interested in the relationships between formal theories of rational judgment and the empirical study of human cognition. From 2011 I am a principal investigator within the DFG funding program SPP 1516: New Frameworks of Rationality, collaborating with Dr. Jonathan Nelson and Dr. Björn Meder (MPI, Berlin), Prof. Dr. Laura Martignon (Ludwigsburg), and Prof. Katya Tentori (Trento) on reserch project "Models of information search: A theoretical and empirical syntesis".
Recent and Forthcoming Publications
- Crupi, V. and Tentori, K. (forthcoming), "Confirmation theory", in A. Hájek and C. Hitchcock (a cura di), Oxford Handbook of Philosophy and Probability, Oxford University Press
- Crupi, V. and Tentori, K. (forthcoming), "Confirmation as partial entailment: A representation theorem in inductive logic", Journal of Applied Logic.
- Tentori, K. and Crupi, V. (forthcoming), "Why quantum probability does not explain the conjunction fallacy", Behavioral and Brain Sciences.
- Tentori, K. and Crupi, V. (forthcoming), "On the determinants of the conjunction fallacy: Probability vs. inductive confirmation", Journal of Experimental Psychology: General.
- Crupi, V., Chater, N., and Tentori, K. (forthcoming), "New axioms for probability and likelihood ratio measures", British Journal for the Philosophy of Science.
- Crupi, V. and Tentori, K. (2012), "A second look at the logic of explanatory power (with two novel representation theorems)", Philosophy of Science, 79, pp. 365-385.
- Zhao, J., Crupi, V., Tentori, K., Fitelson, B., and Osherson, D. (2012), "Updating: Learning vs. supposing", Cognition, 124, pp. 373-378.
- Dumas, F., Gonzalez, M., Girotto, V., Pascal, C., Botton, J.-F. and Crupi, V. (2012), "The context of available options affects healthcare decisions: A generalization study", Medical Decision Making, 32, pp. 815-819.
- Crupi, V. (2012), "An argument for not equating confirmation and explanatory power", The Reasoner, 6 (3), pp. 39-40 [Erratum in The Reasoner, 6 (4), p. 68].
- Tentori, K. and Crupi, V. (2012), "On the conjunction fallacy and the meaning of 'and', yet again: A reply to Hertwig, Benz, and Krauss (2008)", Cognition, 122, pp. 123-134.