Fakultät für Philosophie, Wissenschaftstheorie
Munich Center for Mathematical Philosophy (MCMP)
+49 (0) 89 / 2180 - 3894
As a postdoctoral fellow at the Munich Center for Mathematical Philosophy (MCMP) I am doing research in formal philosophy. The second focus of my research centers about topics in science communication with the central question: How can mathematical philosophy be communicated and made visible to promote our discipline? Some of my efforts are documented on the MCMP media page. In 2013/14 I am teaching philosophy of science at Mainz University, theories of causation as well as foundations of artificial intelligence at the University of Pécs, Hungary, and topics in philosophy and robotics at Venice International University; I organized the Conference "Models and Decisions" (10-12 April, 2013) and the 17th UK and European Meeting on "Foundations of Physics" (29-31 July, 2013) in Munich.
Currently I am organizing the following events:
- Workshop on "Imprecise Probabilities in Statistics and Philosophy" (June 2014)
- Trans-Continental Meeting "Bridges 2014" in New York City (September/October 2014)
My research centers around formal epistemology, causal modeling and the metaphysics of causation, probability theory, Bayesian networks, and algorithmical aspects of classical and philosophical logic. I have a background in logic, computational linguistics, automata theory, databases, object oriented programming, and cognitive linguistics. In my doctoral thesis I dealt with causal inference from structured knowledge in an extended Bayes net interventionist setting.
More info about my work, current events, my person …
… and downloads (including my academic CV): on my personal website logic.rforge.com
… or recordings of talks by myself: on the LMUcast server and in my video channel "Concrete Causation" on iTunes U
- Poellinger, Roland (2014): Wer da? – Turings Test in virtuellen Spielwelten. In: Demmler, Kathrin and Lutz, Klaus and Ring, Sebastian (eds.) : Computerspiele und Medienpädagogik. Materialien zur Medienpädagogik, Vol. 11. München: kopaed Verlag
- Hubert, Mario and Poellinger, Roland (2014): Anchoring Causal Connections in Physical Concepts. In: Galavotti, Maria Carla and Dieks, Dennis and Gonzalez, Wenceslao J. and Hartmann, Stephan and Uebel, Thomas and Weber, Marcel (eds.) : New Directions in the Philosophy of Science. The Philosophy of Science in a European Perspective, Vol. 5. Springer International Publishing. pp. 501-509
- Poellinger, Roland (2013): Disentangling Causal Connections and Informational Links. 21st Annual Meeting of the European Society for Philosophy and Psychology, July 9-12, Granada.
- Poellinger, Roland (2012): Concrete Causation: About the Structures of Causal Knowledge. Dissertation, Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München: Faculty of Philosophy, Philosophy of Science, and the Study of Religion